PHOTOSHOOTS WITH YOUR HORSES CAN BE SUCH A FUN EXPERIENCE!
Our horses are such an important part of our lives! Some of them have made such an impact to our soul, that we are forever changed! And having the opportunity to have portraits taken with our horses, so that we are able to love and cherish the memories for decades to come is an extra special blessing!
This guide is to help you to prepare for your photoshoot with your horses, so that everything will run nice and smooth. And so that everyone (even the extra furry ones) will have a great time!
Whether you have decided to have your horse completely saddled for your photoshoot, or you are going to have your horse in only a halter. It's important to make sure that:
-The tack fits your horse
-The tack is squeaky clean!
-Any repairs that need to be made to your tack
Setting out your outfits (including jewelry and other accessories), ironing them and putting them in a garment bag, to protect them from getting wrinkly and dirty. If you plan on wearing a cowboy hat, be sure that the hat is clean and properly shaped.
-Take your horse to the location a few days before the session. Or go to the location AT LEAST one hour before the session starts so that the horse can get used to the area.
-Practice any poses that you want to do for the session. For example, if you have never ridden bareback but it's something that you want to do. Practice that beforehand.
-If you are concerned about your horses' reaction to your outfit (like a big flowy dress), wear it a few times to get your horse used to the outfit.
TIMELINE OF PREPARING FOR YOUR PHOTOSHOOT
1 week before the photoshoot
- Fit, repair and clean all the tack that will be used for the session.
- Practice the poses you want to use for the session
- Get your horse used to your outfits if you are concerned that your horse will spook.
a few days before the photoshoot
- Take the horse to the location (if you are hauling to the location) to have them get used to the area! If that is not a possibility, be sure to be at the location the day of the photo session at least an hour before, so that your horse will get used to the area.
- Continue the posing practice and desensitizing to your outfits.
1 day before the photoshoot
- Iron clothes
- Set out your outfits with all accessories. Ideally put the outfits in a garment bag to keep them safe and clean!
- Put together a little "photoshoot kit" to have on hand for the session to help with your horse. HERE is a link to help you put together your horse's photoshoot kit!
the day of the photoshoot
- Work down or exercise your horse.
- Bathe your horse (even better if you have a friend or family member bathe your horse while you are getting ready. Leave your horse somewhere where they have access to food and water. But can't get themselves in trouble ;) If you would like some guidance on giving your horse a nice spa day, with recommended products, click HERE)
- Get yourself ready
- Go to the location at least 1 hour before the session time.
NOW FOR THE HACKS!
SET YOUR HORSE UP FOR SUCCESS
You know your horse best! Even the best horses have their own little quirks, and that is what we love about them! But in order to be sure that your photoshoot will go well, there are a few things to keep in mind!
If you know that your horse will act better with their buddy with them, bring their buddy along!
If you have never taken your horse to the location of the photoshoot, be sure to take your horse there a few times so that they can get used to the area and will be comfortable.
WORK YOUR HORSE DOWN!
The excitement of your photoshoot is a wonderful thing! However, some horses will take the excitement energy and run with it (literally haha)
Katee works very hard to be sure that both horse and person are having a great time during the shoot. However, sometimes horses are just not wanting to cooperate, and that makes things a little more difficult and can sometimes put a damper on the photoshoot.
On the day of your photoshoot, give your horse a good workout before bathing them. This will help to calm that excited energy and will help your horse to behave for the photoshoot.
PLAN, PREPARE, PRACTICE
Do you want to wear one of those big flowy dresses for your photoshoot? Are you wanting to ride bareback for your photoshoot? Or maybe you want to do one of those iconic "running on the shore, splashing in the water" shots! But your horse spooks at flowy things, you have not ever ridden bareback, or you have never ridden your horse in water! You had better practice!
To help make your dream photoshoot come true, Katee will sit down with you to help plan out every detail of the photoshoot! She will give you tips, tricks to help you prepare for your shoot, and all you have to do is practice a little leading up to the day!
MAKE IT A DAY OF FUN!